Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Yanks Down Under!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Woo hoo! The Mouse has finally landed!
Topic Started: Mar 4 2017, 10:18:21 AM (745 Views)
Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
:wave:

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give my first official "G' Day" from Australian soil. Landed in Adelaide late afternoon Thursday.

Now it's just getting everything squared away here. So off to do some more of that today.

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the tips and chat over this time. And now that I'm actually here, I'm sure I'll have more as I'm just getting started here, so tips and tricks are still always welcomed! :)

woo hoo! So far, Adelaide seems to have a good feel for me, but obviously will know more as time goes on. But it truly is a great feeling to be able to take this step in a life long dream. If it weren't for the 22 hours on airplanes 2 days ago, I'd say pinch me. but that definitely makes it feel like I'm finally here.

:yaay: :redpepper: :redpepper: :yaay:
Edited by Mouse, Mar 4 2017, 10:19:43 AM.
John 3:16 - One of the most powerful messages ever given.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bindie
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate

Welcome home!
The future is no place / to place your better days, "Cry Freedom", Dave Matthews Band

Canberra, ACT since 2004

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks... it feels good to be back.
A lot different this time actually, because this time is a permanent move, so the whole perspective on it has a different feel... in a very good way :)

pastrycook-136
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
It is a bit like being on vacation at first with the awesome feeling that it doesn't have to end! You will settle into life and it's problems but it is made better that any problems are at least in a place you like! I will have been here 9 years in April and I still love it here and yes I am still learning new things about Australia at times.
"If you want to gather honey don't kick over the beehive!"

eireannach
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
:woohoo: Congrats!

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]

It's an awesome feeling that it's a vacation that doesn't have to end. Life has it's rewards and challenges no matter where we are at on the planet, but dealing with it all while living in a place you really want to be in I think definitely makes the more challenging things a bit easier to deal with.

crapola
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
hey mouse, welcome to adelaide!!! which 'burb did you decide to settle in?

Hanasian
Anklebiter
[ * ]
Welcome back! Looks pretty cold on the weather maps there today!

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hi....

Right now I'm in the 'burb of Pennington.. most don't even know it... it's right next to Rosewater. Most that don't know Pennington recognise the area when I say Rosewater instead.

Honestly though the mouse is not finding it all that nice in Adelaide in general. I'd like to stay here, but have been looking at other areas of the country for opportunities as well.

crapola
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
being an adelaidean, i know where pennington is :)

why are you not finding adelaide nice? are we horrible people? weather crappy (it has been lately)? bad public transport?

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
crapola
Sep 4 2017, 01:46:39 PM
being an adelaidean, i know where pennington is :)

why are you not finding adelaide nice? are we horrible people? weather crappy (it has been lately)? bad public transport?
Well I think some of it is just that Adelaide is a bigger city. But mainly what I mean by it is that Aussie employers have been complete crap.
I don't know what it is.... I'm highly skilled in my field. Years of experience. I've gotten very little response. And when applying for positions that I am perfectly qualified for I get passed over.
I come from a place that you have to be clean and work hard. I came here on a skilled migration visa which means there was a valid need for those with my specific skill sets, then I get here and hit a complete wall trying to find something in my field. I knew I'd be starting new here and that I expected it to be more challenging at least to start with then I was used to in the US where I'm from. But this has been flat out ridiculous.
*note* - I'm also a professional that has never had an issue finding work quickly if I chose to move on from an employer.

That's part of the reason why I said in my previous post that I am willing to go anywhere in the country that my visa allows (which is most) in order to get started.
I know I'm being met with full on discrimination but it's a hard thing to prove and I don't have any rights here other than being in the country with my visa.
I came here to start a new life, but I didn't come here to have to completely give up my career and all of my skills and start over from scratch in a totally different field. I'm at the point now where I would like to stay because I came here to make this move a success, but now, part of me feels like giving this place a giant middle finger and leaving.
Edited by Mouse, Sep 5 2017, 09:08:43 PM.

Ozfred
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
In many cases...in education at least, employers are required to advertise and have an 'open and transparent' process. Sometimes there are people that have been working on contract or casual that already have a good fit to the position. They do get a hidden inside run at the job. My best advise is to ask, before you apply, whether are is someone in the position (doing the job) currently. The employer can safely admit that there is someone in the position, but they can't indicate that they would get the job. Saves you trouble and embarrassment. This is not fair or unfair...simply practical and how things work.
What's your field and have you been looking private or govt?
Good luck.

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hey there Ozfred...

Well my field is in IT (Information Technology) - yes.... a nerd. Support, hardware, software, IT project management, System Admin, Network Admin, Server Admin, etc.
For me it seems like as soon as they see that I'm not a "local Aussie" I don't even get considered. Even when it's for positions that I know they're hiring for and that I meet every single qualification.
Some of them may also know that the US is actually about 5-7 years ahead technology-wise than what I've seen here. So there might also be a little intimidation factor too. I could come in and run the entire place. Back home in the US, I actually did, so maybe that factors in here.
As for positions... I apply for anything that I'm legally allowed to. If it doesn't require security clearance because in my field at least, you have to be an Australian citizen in order to obtain that.
Doesn't matter that I held Federal level security clearance for my jobs in the US. Means nothing here.
I've used every angle here that I can think of. I'm willing to go anywhere in the country that I'm legally allowed to on my visa. (a 489). But getting nowhere is at this point seeming like a hill that I just can't get a break here.
Then you have Turnbull pushing legislation that legally allows employers to hire Aussies first over a possibly more qualified person here from overseas... well, that's a nail in the coffin.
I don't have connections and networking like I had in the US, so I'm here all on my own without any of that.
Sooner rather than later I'm going to have no choice but to call it quits here if something doesn't happen very soon.
I came here to make this a success, but everything I try in every way I try is not getting me the results I need.
Edited by Mouse, Sep 15 2017, 09:13:12 PM.

« Previous Topic · General Chit-Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Logo designed by Catnip Graphics | Buttons Designed by Thanatös of the ZB Theme Zone