Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Yanks Down Under!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
BIG change in college fees for PR's; PRs will no longer receive subsidized college tuition
Topic Started: May 5 2017, 05:38:10 AM (417 Views)
carpenterrn
Member Avatar
Piker
hey,
This isn't making the mainstream news, but is VERY relevant for PRs with soon to be college age kids. Starting Jan 1 2018, Australian PRs will NO LONGER be eligible for the usual government subsidy. This will make university VASTLY more expensive.
Extracted from this article: http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11850020

" Under the new university fee proposals, Australian permanent residents from all countries and New Zealand citizens will pay full fees; an average increase of A$8000 ($86200) to A$9000 ($9700) a year. About 6000 New Zealanders are in this category.

Immigration researchers have also raised fears about what next steps could be, including whether Kiwi expats could be charged to have their children attend Australian state schools."
MD->OR->NZ->MD->HI->MD->OZ!!!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Welcome to the land of the PM among others putting new laws/regulations on the table that severely impact migrants to Australia in a very negative way.
John 3:16 - One of the most powerful messages ever given.

carpenterrn
Member Avatar
Piker
sign the petition: https://www.change.org/p/malcolm-turnbull-oppose-cruel-300-increase-in-university-fees-for-australian-pr?recruiter=720782975&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition
MD->OR->NZ->MD->HI->MD->OZ!!!!

Bindie
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate

Mouse
May 12 2017, 01:35:17 PM
Welcome to the land of the PM among others putting new laws/regulations on the table that severely impact migrants to Australia in a very negative way.
Just because the PM talks about it doesn't mean it's set in stone. The only thing that may severely impact migrants is the potential upgraded English test. Changes DO need to be made to the citizenship test.

Careful, your privilege is showing. The US requires a PR to wait 5 years before becoming a citizen. For Aussie's moving the other way, it's a longer wait AND you have to denounce your country of birth as well as agree to bear arms for the US. You are only bothered because the potential changes may effect / inconvenience you.

You are not the person these changes were directed. Unless you're brown, black or you've suddenly become a refugee or a Muslim. It's all about keeping Australia 'safe' and I'm assuming you're not the right colour for a terrorist.
The future is no place / to place your better days, "Cry Freedom", Dave Matthews Band

Canberra, ACT since 2004

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
My privilege showing? Really?

You don't know what I've been facing ever since I moved here with recent changes for employers. I know I'm in a different culture, I'm not looking for anything other than a fair go. Which seems damn near impossible right now. At least for me. So please don't assume like that. Besides, it's not like I'm the only one commenting on that topic. It's all over the news and everything else here.

I agree over time that there should be updates to policies like the citizenship test, but what has people ticked about that is proposing things like university level English, etc. Before you kick me, remember, those aren't my words, those are from Aussies themselves.
Edited by Mouse, Jun 21 2017, 08:34:38 PM.
John 3:16 - One of the most powerful messages ever given.

« Previous Topic · "How Do I...?" · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Logo designed by Catnip Graphics | Buttons Designed by Thanatös of the ZB Theme Zone