Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Yanks Down Under!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
190 Visa (GSM) & self-employment; Surely no one's ever asked this question, right? :D
Topic Started: Aug 4 2017, 01:22:53 PM (208 Views)
ciavyn
Piker
Oy. I feel like such a noob, but when it comes to visas, I am!

I recently contacted Visa Solutions, LLC, based on a recommendation from this site, and so far, they've been great. Where I'm stumbling is two places.

1. I'm looking at the 190 visa, general skilled migration. The migration service recommended I apply as a graphic designer, as that's the bulk of my current work, but when I reviewed the list , I see that book/screen editor and copywriter are listed. I have the bulk of my education (two master degrees in writing and publishing) in editing and writing, and I've been a professional writer and editor for over a decade. Those seem like the ways to go, but the migration service says that they are ineligible for the 190. I'm not sure why. Does anyone have any insight? I'm at the point of paying for the service, so I'm just double-checking to make sure I do this correctly. :)

2. Proving the skills for the 190 GSM—this is my nerves talking, but how hard is it to prove without an employer when you're self-employed? Has anyone had a similar situation?

I'm happy to offer more info, but I'm unsure where to start. :)

Thank you!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pastrycook-136
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
I came here on a skilled visa. While your education is important immigration and the skills assessor also look at the work that you have been doing recently. Recent work in your field is very important and if the migration agent suggests a nominating an occupation that is closer to your recent work rather than your education I would take their advice. If they say that the other occupations are not eligible for the visa it would be a big waste of time, effort, and money to apply anyway. I thought I would nominate my occupation as "Baker" but after reviewing my skills and recent work history my migration agent suggested that "Pastrycook" would fit my skillset and recent work history better and have a better chance of succeeding in securing a visa. I followed their advice and was a granted my visa in 2008. As far as proving your skills do you have computer records or invoices for your work? Any and all business records and examples of your work are good evidence. The migration agents know all of the aspects of the very lengthy, complicated, expensive, and daunting application process and their advice can save you a lot of time, money, and grief. While you can apply on your own in my case I am very glad I used a migration agent. It was money well spent and it took great deal of stress and confusion out of the process. Your goal is to simply secure a permanent residency visa any way that you can even if the exact process is not how you thought you would do it. Keep in mind that once you are granted a visa and permanent residency Australia and all of it's great benefits are handed to you on a platter to enjoy and you are free to work in any field that you like. Good luck with it. Jed
Edited by pastrycook-136, Aug 5 2017, 12:13:12 AM.
"If you want to gather honey don't kick over the beehive!"

ciavyn
Piker
Wow. Thank you. That was very helpful. I've secured a migration agent, as I agree: way too much to do it all on my own without some educated guidance. :)

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Immigration & Visas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Logo designed by Catnip Graphics | Buttons Designed by Thanatös of the ZB Theme Zone