Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Yanks Down Under!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ugg the cost of cars; Car shopping deals
Topic Started: Jul 7 2010, 06:34:47 AM (7,074 Views)
lisonbee5
Piker
It has hurt alot to see the price of cars....people movers in particular are so expensive. Any good tips?
Edited by lisonbee5, Jul 30 2010, 02:47:25 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gpierce
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ebay??

skyswimmer
Member Avatar
Anklebiter
[ * ]
Personal buyers but make sure it has a Road Worthy Certificate RWC. Get a mech to visit if you want its around 80$,.
www.Gumtree.com.au
Carsales.com.au

Mandy
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Definitely ebay, gumtree or carsales.com.au. I would never buy from a dealer. Made that mistake 11 years ago and never again. Cars certainly are expensive and people movers hold their value. What kind of car are you looking for??

Shazza
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read this to mean that Ugg boots cost as much as cars - and to be honest they are soooooo overpriced! LOL - sorry OT!

Cars are a lot more expensive. I think the best deals are private - but as others have mentioned you have to protect yourself if you go this route. You can get reports on cars that let you know if they have any debt on them etc we only bought a year ago but my memory is fuzzy!

We bought a Jeep Wrangler we found on www.carsales.com.au and we made sure we did every check available (I think there are two) and we have been happy with our purchase.

But yes, they are a lot more expensive than in the States.

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
For me personally, it's not just that cars in AU cost a lot more than Stateside... I have a newer car, love it, and it will be paid-off by the time I make my main move there. So I'm reading every legal possibility to see if there's any way I can import it there. The Personal Import Scheme is looking promising. :) but we'll see how that pans out.
I wonder what the deal is with the pricing there... Does it seem to be more expensive on Import brands, and ones that fall into the "luxury-tax" category? Or is it with domestics too?
John 3:16 - One of the most powerful messages ever given.

sheowahya
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Now that Holden is closing shop, there is no such thing as a domestic car, they're ALL imports.
My Social Connections
===============================
https://www.facebook.com/MarilynMWilliams
http://au.linkedin.com/in/marilynwilliams/
Twitter: @Sheowahya

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
sheowahya
Mar 11 2014, 07:53:09 PM
Now that Holden is closing shop, there is no such thing as a domestic car, they're ALL imports.
Wow.. really?
I'm a car guy... so with what has happened "Stateside" I guess doesn't overly surprise me... As I believe they were somewhat loosely linked to the Pontiac auto division here. And couple years ago, the company folded here. So that kinda sucks... because odd as I may be, I've always been a fan of some of the Utes sold there.

For most car enthusiasts, it was pretty easy to see that they blatantly took the VZ Monaro basically "as is" and re-badged it as the "new" Pontiac GTO here in the States.

I'm kinda surprised that AU would let that happen, I know in the US it would come Hell or high water before they'd let all of the domestic brands go under.

sheowahya
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Aussie govt is MUCH more fiscally responsible than the US.
I'm not surprised they're going at all.
Quant as is next on the chopping block.
My Social Connections

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Unfortunately Marilyn.... you're 100% right on with that. I don't think the US govt would know what it means to be "fiscally responsible" even if they looked it up in a dictionary!
Sometimes I can even understand their reasoning on some things like this, but it still doesn't mean they make the right/best decisions.
I hope I can bring my baby there... if not, hopefully I'll get enough for it that I can get a good reliable one there. :)

pastrycook-136
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Holdens, Fords, and Toyotas will still be sold here, they just won't be made here in Australia any more due to the high cost of wages and production for a relatively small and competitive market.
"If you want to gather honey don't kick over the beehive!"

Cimexus
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
I wonder if there'll be an uptick in sales for the last Australian-built models. Although the closures of the Australian Ford, Holden/GM and Toyota plants have been announced, they don't take effect for a few years. I wonder if collectors for instance will see owning 'the last Aussie built Holden ute' or the last Ford Falcon as attractive.

I'm not a car guy but it's a shame to see this industry leaving the country. I suppose it's inevitable though - Australia is a very high-cost place to try and run a manufacturing business, and with a small domestic market.

Given that imported cars are hit with a tariff currently, to protect the domestic industry, I wonder whether we'll actually see the cost of cars come down a bit after 2017. If there's no local industry to protect then they should be able to do away with the import tariff...

sheowahya
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cimexus
Mar 14 2014, 06:20:41 AM

Given that imported cars are hit with a tariff currently, to protect the domestic industry, I wonder whether we'll actually see the cost of cars come down a bit after 2017. If there's no local industry to protect then they should be able to do away with the import tariff...
Does anyone remember a time when a government WILLINGLY gave up a constant, reliable source of income?!?!
My Social Connections

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
sheowahya
Mar 14 2014, 07:41:38 AM
Cimexus
Mar 14 2014, 06:20:41 AM

Does anyone remember a time when a government WILLINGLY gave up a constant, reliable source of income?!?!
lol... Amen to that.
It would make logical sense that it should come down... but when logic and standard mathematics meet politics and government...... the file for logic and mathematics will hit the shredder faster than the first ant to a picnic! :mrgreen:

Cimexus
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
sheowahya
Mar 14 2014, 07:41:38 AM
Well when they introduced the GST in 2000, they abolished a whole raft of other taxes and excises. Now I suppose that's a different matter, as they were replacing several streams of income with another larger one, in the interests of simplification, whereas in this case we're talking about simply abolishing a source of income outright.

So I guess you're right - probably won't happen.

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't the GST in Oz work essentially the same as in Canada? Just curious. I think if the US adopted a similar method it might simplify things a lot. I really liked it in Oz where when you went into a store, it made it so much easier to calculate total cost "on the fly".

American_Kiwi_in_Oz
Yacker
[ *  * ]
I don't know how it works in Canada but here, yes, taxes are included in prices. Given that you generally don't tip here either those two factors make prices at restaurants easier to calculate too.

Pavlina
Yacker
[ *  * ]
Yes, the expense of cars. We would love a second car but we just can't justify the cost when hubbs is away on travel so much. So when he is in town, I doff my chauffeur cap and take solace in the fact we live 10 mins from his job. I had a Honda Accord in the US and I think I passed out when I saw the cost here!

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Agreed... crazy cost on some things like that. I'm still seriously considering importing one of my vehicles when the time comes.

Mouse
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Anyone have any experience or knowledge about importing a motorcycle? I've been researching and it looks somewhat similar but I'm thinking the cost should be less than a car.

And I'll be damned if I'm gonna convert it to RHD.. lol. :rollin:

But seriously though... I've been doing a full restoration on a vintage bike of mine and would really like to bring it with me :) I know I'll have to give up the idea of bringing my truck as it would be just way to costly to do the conversion. They sell a similar one to mine in Aus. but it's not close enough to use those parts for a conversion.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Catwalk · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Logo designed by Catnip Graphics | Buttons Designed by Thanatös of the ZB Theme Zone