Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Yanks Down Under!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cool Whip Substitute?
Topic Started: Nov 22 2011, 07:54:01 PM (49,681 Views)
angelini
Anklebiter
[ * ]
Hi guys and gals,

Just wondering what you all use in place of Cool Whip. I am planning on using whipped cream in my Double Layer Pumpkin Pie, but know it won't be the same. When I lived in the UK, I used to use 'Dream Topping' which was powdered and mixed with milk - just like Cool Whip - but I haven't seen that here either.

Thanks in advance :mrgreen:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bindie
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate

Double thick cream?

Google found this:

http://www.taste.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=101674&sid=1baf5fb55640e4d1614063cd7dadbfc9#p101739
Most of the time it is the stability of cool whip that is needed for most of these pies. Using whipped cream usually doesn't produce the best result because it collapses a bit. To stop this I use a stablised whipped cream instead of cool whip. Even if I had access to cool whip I would still use stablised whipped cream as cool whip is full of chemicals. This is the recipe for stablised whipped cream I use:

GELATIN:
2 tablespoons cold water.
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin

WHIPPING CREAM:
2 cups chilled whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons icing sugar

1. In a very small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand for about 5 minutes to soften.

2.Heat gelatin mixture over low heat until gelatin is dissolved, then remove from heat.
Let it cool.

3. Beat cream in a well-chilled bowl.

4.Slowly add the icing sugar and vanilla to the whipped cream and whip until slightly stiff.

5.Add melted and cooled gelatin to the whipping cream
Continue whipping until cream holds its shape.
The future is no place / to place your better days, "Cry Freedom", Dave Matthews Band

Canberra, ACT since 2004

sheowahya
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
you can get Dream Whip from USA foods

while it certainly is not Cool Whip, I think it's better than most whipping creams here

Cheers,
Marilyn
My Social Connections
===============================
https://www.facebook.com/MarilynMWilliams
http://au.linkedin.com/in/marilynwilliams/
Twitter: @Sheowahya

Pothole
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
G'day Angelini,

While not Cool Whip a few people I know say these guys make a lot of whips close to those back over in the US. The Rich N Smooth seems to be similair from what they say

Rich's
Those Who Lose Dreaming are Lost. Aboriginal Proverb
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour Anon

angelini
Anklebiter
[ * ]
Thanks all! I am one of the lucky people who live pretty darn close to USA Food's store, but didn't notice Dream Topping while there. Another trip before the weekend is out of the question, so I think I'll try your recipe, Bindie. I was worried about the cream losing its shape when combined with everything else.

RachaelK
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oooo.. clever with the gelatin. That's totally the problem too - I prefer the real whipped cream but the consistency of Cool Whip in a lot of recipes is so important. Thanks!

« Previous Topic · Tucker Time · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Logo designed by Catnip Graphics | Buttons Designed by Thanatös of the ZB Theme Zone