Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Yanks Down Under!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Places to camp with lots of trees?
Topic Started: Jan 17 2013, 03:09:59 PM (435 Views)
CanadianKangaroo
Member Avatar
Yacker
[ *  * ]
OK, wasn't exactly sure how to word this LOL. Back in Vancouver we used to do a lot of camping at the lakes. You know the kinds of awesome campgrounds with heaps of people but it still seems private because the spots are basically surrounded by beautiful trees. Since we have been here we usually just stay in cabins in caravan Parks but now we bought a tent trailer and would love to find a spot like I described. It seems all the caravan Parks are basically just flat lots with lots of open space. I don't want to go into the middle of nowhere either since I am a bit of a 5 star camper :) Does my dream spot exist and is it within a 3-5 drive from Sydney?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sheowahya
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Check out the Blue Mountains.

http://www.bmtp.com.au/blackheath-glen.html

Cheers
Marilyn
My Social Connections
===============================

https://www.facebook.com/MarilynMWilliams
http://au.linkedin.com/in/marilynwilliams/
http://www.scoop.it/u/marilyn-williams
Twitter: @Sheowahya

Melinda
Chinwagger
[ *  *  * ]
Hi Canadian Kangaroo,

We love to tent camp, and we've tried out a few places here. My all-time favorite campground in Australia is south of you, just over the border in Victoria. It's called Colac-Colac, near a town called Corryong. Make sure you look at the campground at Colac-Colac Creek--there is another campground at the edge of town, and it's not the right one.
The Colac-Colac campground is totally shaded, and there is a wonderful gentle creek flowing along one border of the campground (perfect for floating down on a hot summer afternoon, so take a boogie board, inflatable raft, inner tube, etc.)
The sites aren't totally private just because here there aren't generally defined sites with privacy--we always end up more packed in than in North America or in Europe. However, we met the most wonderful people there. We're going to Victoria again this fall to stay with a new friend we met at the campground!
We've also camped at Katoomba, at the Council-run campground. While the sites aren't really shaded or private, the campground sits just across the road from the top of the cliffs and some great walking paths. We camped there in the early spring and are going again in the autumn, so the lack of shade didn't really matter. You can find some more private sites there.
We also camped in Armidale, on the New England Plateau, at a campground called Highlander Van Village. Its sites were more defined and somewhat private.
We've camped at more places than I've listed, and we tend to camp at places with water and showers (for me, who really likes a daily shower!) There are lots of National Park campgrounds where you haul your own water (and bring your own toilet), but I have no experience with them.
Good luck, and let us know what campgrounds you discover.
Melinda
Edited by Melinda, Feb 10 2013, 10:36:03 PM.

southerncross116
Member Avatar
Anklebiter
[ * ]
There are lots of great places to camp as you all describe, but just do not EVER pitch your tent under a gum tree - they are green year round, but dry and brittle all year round too and they can drop heavy limbs at any moment, day or night, wind or no wind. No matter how wooded in Australia, camp by all means but pitch your tent in the open. Each year there are deaths from camping directly under gums.

« Previous Topic · General Chit-Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Logo designed by Catnip Graphics | Buttons Designed by Thanatös of the ZB Theme Zone