Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Yanks Down Under!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customising your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
American Hot Dogs
Topic Started: Jun 18 2013, 09:06:40 PM (13,740 Views)
Scottyobigg
Member Avatar
Piker
Has anyone come across American hot dogs here?
The hot dogs here seem to be of low quality and they have that weird red casing (even tastes weird if you pull it off)
Does anyone know where to find a REAL hot dog! Ive been craving one
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bindie
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate

America? =P
The future is no place / to place your better days, "Cry Freedom", Dave Matthews Band

Canberra, ACT since 2004

TerritorianTori
Member Avatar
Being boring
[ *  *  *  * ]
Have you tried the "Hans" brand? They're sold in the smallgoods section of the supermarket. I think they even say "American-style" on the packaging.

Slightly OT - seeing as you're in Melbourne, have you ever been to Misty's? :)

Scottyobigg
Member Avatar
Piker
I went to Misty's on Sunday night with my wife lol, we go there probably twice a month, its probably the most authentic American food if found here (even if it is only diner food)
The hot dogs are quite good and so are the burgers and desserts (the Reeces Pieces pie especially!)
I will definitely have to try Hans.. i will look for them next time im at Coles, thanks :)

Bindie
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate

Have you thought about asking Misty's where they get theirs?
The future is no place / to place your better days, "Cry Freedom", Dave Matthews Band

Canberra, ACT since 2004

Scottyobigg
Member Avatar
Piker
Already asked.. She said she gets them imported from NY

coach22
Yacker
[ *  * ]
Aldi sells "American-style hot dogs". They aren't gourmet but they don't have the gross red casing. Aldi also sells the buns. We boil the hot dogs and load them up with toppings and they do just fine.

Cimexus
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah I have to admit, the American style hot dogs ARE better than the Australian ones. And this is from an Aussie who is always looking for an opportunity to point out that things are better in Australia ;)

Melinda
Chinwagger
[ *  *  * ]
Cimexus
Jun 25 2013, 05:53:07 PM
Yeah I have to admit, the American style hot dogs ARE better than the Australian ones. And this is from an Aussie who is always looking for an opportunity to point out that things are better in Australia ;)
Gotta laugh. All my Aussie friends pointed me to the Hans American hot dogs because their kids refused to eat the red-skinned hot dogs and love the American ones. Cheaper ones at Aldi; we are divided on taste between Woolworth's Hans and the Aldi American hot dogs.

Bluegrass Girl
Yacker
[ *  * ]
Scottyobigg
Jun 18 2013, 09:06:40 PM
Has anyone come across American hot dogs here?
The hot dogs here seem to be of low quality and they have that weird red casing (even tastes weird if you pull it off)
Does anyone know where to find a REAL hot dog! Ive been craving one
Sometimes you can find hot dogs that are branded American at Coles. Now, they don't taste exactly like I recall hot dogs tasting back home, but they taste better than Aussie hot dogs (with or without the red casing). They're kind of.......in between.

I find that they taste most authentic if you boil them, then roll them around in a hot skillet (yes a skillet! Skillet skillet skillet, not frying pan....even though they're the same thing! hahaha Always skillet!)
I don't know what it does to them, but after I do it they taste a lot like a hot dog from the ballpark! (Of course, you must use real American mustard - French's, and you must use KETCHUP, not tomato sauce.... ;) )

I do admit that in the absence of a good hot dog, I quite like a good snag off the grill (grill grill grill, always grill! :p ).

West_Texan
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
The only Hotdogs here that I found to have the best taste is DON Footy Franks.

TheLawRanger
Anklebiter
[ * ]
I didn't see any at Cole's and Woolies. What I remember seeing these big brautwirst saugsages at Coles and Woolies. Most of the things I having to order from USAFoods in Melbourne to make up an differences in things that Cole's and Woolies didn't have. I know there is a way to create hot dogs and getting the casings for them to make hot dogs. I got the recipe to make the casings and the hotdogs from scratch. I have it some put away in filing cabinet along with a bunch of other recipes.
The Law Ranger's Law Student in Australia at The Texas Trade Report
Posted Image

Iceman222
Anklebiter
[ * ]
Dons Skinless franks (Which are sold at Woolworths and Coles are close) Also the Primo hotdogs they have a thin red casing on them but are real good on the grill.
I'm from Philadelphia and miss the Hot dog carts (Been in Melbourne about a year and a half now)

Mick6789
Piker
hey scottyO I also go for the Hans "american style" hotdogs in my local wollies as i wouldnt touch the Aussie balloon dogs. It's as close as I can get here but has anybody else tried the american dogs in Costco? Not too bad IMO.

Nutbug
Member Avatar
Chinwagger
[ *  *  * ]
I saw Chili Dogs for the first time ever in the section that sells sausages, bratwurst, etc. There was a plain one as well.

The red skinned ones are frankfurts, they're not as nice as hot dogs, I agree. Sometimes when I make my own I just use regular sausages.

ChrisP
Member Avatar
Anklebiter
[ * ]
Those red skin things are the most disgusting thing iv ever seen, I miss Johnsonville Brats!! or the $1.50 costco Polish dogs!

ChrisP
Member Avatar
Anklebiter
[ * ]
Cant find Corndogs anywhere! either totally blows man!

pastrycook-136
Member Avatar
True Blue Mate
[ *  *  *  * ]
ChrisP
Jul 20 2014, 02:39:58 PM
Cant find Corndogs anywhere! either totally blows man!
I have seen something similar at concession stands at festivals and shows here called a dagwood dog. I think it's just a battered hot dog on a stick without cornmeal in the batter.
"If you want to gather honey don't kick over the beehive!"

Nutbug
Member Avatar
Chinwagger
[ *  *  * ]
You can buy them in store, too
http://keithsfoods.com.au/product-view/mini-dagwood-dogs-540g-retail-15

I've seen them at Woolworths. I've never tried them, though.

When I was a kid I also heard the term "Pluto Pups" but I'm not sure if they're the same thing.

ChrisP
Member Avatar
Anklebiter
[ * ]
Those look legit! Thanks ill have to try them out!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tucker Time · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Logo designed by Catnip Graphics | Buttons Designed by Thanatös of the ZB Theme Zone